Thursday, December 24, 2009

Angels We Have Heard on High- keep it simple


This morning, on Christmas Eve, I awoke with the song, Angels We have Heard on High” going through my head. I felt joy and peace.
One wonders why the shepherds heard and saw the angels and heavenly host on the first Christmas. I have heard of many reasons but this morning, when I read in the Gospel of Luke;”The shepherds were in their fields at night keeping watch over the sheep", the word “watch” struck me.
I imagine that the noise and the hustle of the city during the census left most of the inhabitants too busy to hear or see God.
The Shepherds, on the other hand were keeping watch. The lives of the shepherds were simple. The shepherds were in a place where they could see and hear God’s voice through the angels. This Christmas, one may ask the question, are we in that place?
Keeping things simple at Christmas time can be a challenge. I pray that the activities of the season and anxieties of this world would not distract us from hearing the voice of the angels say to each one of us, personally,..”Do not be afraid…Today in the town of David a savior has been born to YOU, he is Christ” Luke
God came to us as a little Baby, small, vulnerable and pure. Glory to God in the Highest!
Merry Christmas