Monday, April 23, 2007

The Quest

John 10: 11 - 16
11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.
12 He who is a hireling and not a shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf snatches them and scatters them.
13 He flees because he is a hireling and cares nothing for the sheep.
14 I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me,
15 as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.
16 And I have other sheep, that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice. So there shall be one flock, one shepherd.

To be known and to know. It seems as if that is everyone's quest these days. We watch daily as people in the media seeking after this quest destroy themselves and the lives of the people around them. The voice of the media with it's materialistic message of fame and fortune gets louder and louder and like sheep being led to the slaughter we witness our society heeding it's call and falling from grace.
But not all are of that fold. There are people like Mother Theresa and John Paul II who also saught to know and to be known, but by God , not the world.
We are all known and loved by God. It is said that to know Him is to love Him and to know the truth about Him and ourselves sets us free. We pray for the grace, we need to listen to His voice and to answer His call. Jesus had a quest, to lay down His life for us. What is your quest?
John 17:3 Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. jdandrow@cox.net