Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas in July, and August ...

  What was Christmas like for me?  Did I experience it as  one of the people in Bethlehem who were so busy they passed by the stable unaware that the cry they heard was the cry of their Savior? Did I take the time I should have to adore our Savior ,who came as a babe that was hungry for love, hungry to forgive and hungry for souls, my soul?
This  past Christmas, did I  miss what could have been an Epiphany or was I  like one of the shepherds who dropped their work and did  seek Christ ,and do what they could to diligently find Christ in the crowds?
Who did I  most relate to in the story of Christ's Birth?
This Christmas was I  like the Wise men - "seeking" by the light of the Church to find Christ? Or like the shepherds present in adoration and ready to receive and spread the Good news? Or like the Innkeeper who was too busy to notice or honor the Christ Child in others and closed the door of his heart to the Holy Family? Or like Herod opposing Christ altogether? Did I suffer loss for Christ's sake as did the the mothers of the Holy Innocents? Did I listen to the call to be like St Joseph, obedient and faithful or like Mary, in love with God, surrendered and obedient or like Jesus, little, poor, humble, forgiving, life giving?... Christmas meditations can keep me busy all year.